Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Front Suspension update 4

Yesterday and today have been fairly busy fabricating and test fitting. First I designed and built the mounts for the cross shaft to the front cradle/spaceframe bolt locations, in this design I kept the factory stock 2 degrees of anti-dive, but shifted the upper control arm up 2" so I can lower the car 2" over stock while keeping the upper control arms geometry. Unfortunately with this modification the factory metal work was in the way significantly so I had to move the pivot point of the upper control arm outwards by aprox 1" to clear the bodywork. In doing so I changed the length of the lower control arm by 1" and raised the stock FE5 cobalt ball joint by 2" to match what I have done with the upper control arm. Fortunately I am going to be running custom wheels and custom bodywork so the extra 1" shouldn't cause many issues with the car in the future.

In the pictures you will see a couple things, first off, I am using the wrong side knuckle, in short sightedness I started working on the drivers side suspension, but I only had the passenger side knuckle completed, secondly there is a small issue with the mounting plate for the lower ball joint, I need to bend and re-enforce the plate so the ball joint bolts and steering knuckle do not bind at full extension (fortunately the shock/spring combo needs to bolt in the same location so the re-enforcing plate will also mount the shock), second I haven't completed the rear part of the lower control arm, this was just a test fit I should have it completed in a day or two, also I am missing the upper control arm radius rods, they are on order and will be coming in within a week or two. Lastly the shock/spring combo is touching the stock cradle near the cross shaft, fortunately this is part of the stock spring location and can be trimmed back to give better clearance







.

2 comments:

  1. Love this blog. Keep us updated with more pictures and details in the description.

    Curious, if you redesigned the rear engine subframe, why did you stop just shy of installing a double wishbone/ShortLong arm suspension in the rear? - Or is this a future project?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did think about doing a SLA rear end a long time ago when the project started, but I was going to use the much worse 84-87 rear frame until I started working with CCfiero on a 88 design, so compared to where the project started this is much further than the original plans.

    As for the future, if I do another Fiero project it will be a complete tube frame chassis and yes it would have a SLA rear suspension.

    ReplyDelete