Search This Blog

Monday, November 25, 2013

It's very exciting right now, chassis will be picked up tomorrow, waiting on paint to arrive and the painting process will start, no more rusty chassis time for some matte black.

While I've been waiting for the chassis I've been busy with getting the brakes and knuckles complete, I started by getting rid of the C5 corvette rotors, there was too many issues with them, requiring too many spacers and jerry rigging. Rather I went with basic stock LSJ rotors, they were meant for those hubs and knuckles, requiring no spacers and no sketchiness, on top of that the dimensions of the rotors are pretty close to the corvette rotors save the rear ones that are solid rather than vented.......I can live with that.

I really like the setup on the brakes now, rear came out good with the calipers bolting on solid to the knuckles, but wait till you see the front setup, it required a little more work but it was well worth it with a really nice and strong setup. First off I was running into a problem with the tabs on the wilwood calipers interfering with the tabs on the ION/Cobalt knuckles, I had to cut one of the ears off to make the proper clearance. There was a bit of a win though the machined level of the stock ear was the proper and center for the wilwood caliper, but since I removed an tab I had to come up with a new solution, also as you will see in the pictures I needed a back plate that is threaded, but again I ran into a bit of luck because the solution I can up with put the calipers into double shear and should make for easy removal if need be.

Lastly I've done some final welding to the custom rear suspension links and they are ready for some paint.











No comments:

Post a Comment