Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The project finally gets some direction

Well, directional input......ok its a bad joke.

Since I am using an ION electric assist power steering column, finding a hub can be kind of difficult and expensive, nevermind the stock wheel had airbags and cruise control inputs so I decided to make my own. Fortunately for me GM doesn't like to redesign components when they build cars (as Fiero drivers/owners know very well) so I found at the wreckers a stock Saturn S-series steering wheel minus the airbag and decided to give it a try (also because if it didn't work my daily driver is a S-series and it has a very worn wheel), low and behold it fit perfectly. After the initial test fit I trimmed off everything but the center steel splined collar, then had a couple circle pieces cut and tack welded it to a 3" long piece of 3.5" stainless pipe left over from the exhaust construction.......total cost, $69 for the steering wheel, very nice. I've made the hub 3" deep because the stock wheel for the ION is about that depth, but when I get a seat installed and do the final adjustments on the driving position I might have to adjust the length of the hub to suit. Later I will add the buttons for the cruise control and probably the nitrous as well to the steering wheel assembly.


No comments:

Post a Comment