Search This Blog

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Engine mounting and Frame welding part 2

 Today was a big day, got a few things done to the engine cradle, I got the two transmission mounts and lateral cradle pieces welded in plate, they are only tack welded right now until I can verify that all the dimensions are correct. I had a small problem with the location and had to move the engine forward aprox 1.5" to ensure that the driveshafts were in line with the center of the hub, when I did this the front lateral cradle brace was hitting the transmission mount and I had to cut out a chunk of it to make the space, I am going to have to look at re-enforcing the piece at a later date. Also another problem became apparent when I went to install the header, turbo downpipe and mufflers, I tried to keep the same dimension and location of the rear lateral cradle piece but the downpipe is hitting the piece and I will need to lengthen the downpipe slightly to get the proper clearance to the frame.

Also today I got all the pieces lasered for the rear knuckles, they are cut out of 3/8", 1/4" and 3/16" stainless steel, they will require forming and a lot of welding.....looks like fun for next week. A big thanks to CCfiero for doing the engineering of the rear knuckles......can't wait to start these.

Lastly all the pieces are in for the adjustable rear control arm and the trailing link arm, the shopping list includes, alum radius rods, 3/4" left and right fine threaded rod, steel tubing and polyurethane inserts. But why not use heim joints? heck that would have been a lot easier, I can get them from anywhere, personally I don't know why I can't find adjustable bushing inserts because for this project I don't think that heim joints are a good idea. Personally I don't like heim joints, I've had bad luck with them and especially on a car that I would like to drive on the street.........if I was building a race car they would have been heim joints.











No comments:

Post a Comment